Are you setting new goals and seeking to solve problems?
If yes, consider coaching process called GROW. GROW is an acronym that stands for:
- GOAL – defining what you want to achieve
- REALITY – exploring the current situation, relevant history and future trends
- OPTIONS – coming up with new ideas for reaching the goal
- WHAT/WHO/WHEN – deciding on a concrete plan of action
Possible questions to ask for each component:
- What do I want to achieve?
- What is important to me right now?
- What does success look like?
- What is happening now?
- Where am I in relation to the goal?
- What has contributed to my success so far?
- What skills/knowledge do I have?
- What progress have I made so far?
- What is working well right now?
- What difficulties might I encounter and how might I deal with them?
- Who needs to know about my plans?
- What are my options?
- What ideas can I bring in from past successes?
- Who do I know who has encountered a similar situation?
- What are five options?
- What are the benefits and potential pitfalls of these options?
- Which options work best for me?
- What actions will I take?
- When am I going to start?
- Who will help me?
- What date will you achieve each of my actions?
- When should I see results?
- How will I know I have been successful?
- How will I feel if I meet all of my actions items?
- How will I ensure that I do it?
- On a scale of 1-10, how committed/motivated am I to doing it?
- What is the most important step I could take this week to move forward on this?
- What will I do to get the support that would be most beneficial to me?
Prepared by Wally Lazaruk, January 2020