Victoria Region Men’s & Newcomers Club (VMNC) – Bylaws
Amended: August 18, 2019
ARTICLE I NAME
1. The name of the Club shall be Victoria Region Men’s and Newcomers Club (VMNC).
ARTICLE II Objective
1. The objective of the Club is to welcome men living in the Greater Victoria Area so that they may establish friendships with other members and to provide social activities so that such friendships can be continued.
ARTICLE III Membership
1. Membership is obtained by submission of the Club membership application form and signed notice of waiver to the Club together with the annual membership fee.
2. By submission of the Club application form and signed notice of waiver, a Member consents to his contact information being included in the confidential membership list.
3. Membership is maintained by paying the annual membership fee due prior to the Annual General Meeting.
4. Members shall have access to a confidential membership list, which may not be shared with any person who is not a Member of the Club.
5. The Club is a not-for-profit organization whose principal purpose is the development of social friendships.
6. All activities of the Club are arranged and carried out by its’ Members, without remuneration, solely for the purpose and enjoyment of the Members of the Club. It is therefore a condition precedent of membership that neither the Club, its Officers nor any Member shall be liable to any other Member or invited guest of a Member, for any damages or injury suffered in consequence of taking part in any activity or function arranged or conducted by the Club.
7. Participation in activities of the Club is limited to Members, their guests and those seeking membership in the Club. Members may choose to be a participant in any Club activity. Participation may be limited due to capacity or other constraints. However, every effort will be made to accommodate Members.
8. Any activity that might be construed as using the Club for personal advantage is discouraged.
ARTICLE IV General Meetings of Members
1. There shall be an Annual General Meeting and such Special General Meetings as may be authorized by these Bylaws. Annual General Meetings shall be held to receive the annual operating and financial reports and the report of the nominating committee, to elect the Officers for the ensuing year, and to transact such other business as may be properly come before the Annual General Meeting or any adjournment Members thereof.
2. Annual General Meetings shall be held in September of each year at a time and date set by the Club Executive.
3. Notice of all General Meetings shall be given at least 15 days before the date of the meeting by mail or email.
4. The quorum required for General Meetings shall be 10 percent of the membership.
5. Special General Meetings may be called by the President or shall be called upon the written request of 10 Members of the Club. The purpose of the meeting shall be stated in the notice for such meeting. Except in an emergency, at least 15 days notice shall be given.
6. Subject to Article X, approval of resolutions requires the consent of a majority of Members present. All Members may vote on resolutions except that the meeting Chairman may only vote to break a tie.
7. The Chair of the Nominating Committee shall prepare and present to the membership at the Annual General Meeting a list identifying the Club Executive positions to be filled for the coming year with the names of Members interested in standing for each position.
8. The Annual General Meeting Chair shall take nominations from the floor which will be added to the list of nominees. If there is more than one member standing for any position then an election shall take place for that position with a majority vote determining the successful candidate. Where there is only one member standing for a position he shall be acclaimed.
ARTICLE V Officers
1. The Officers of the Club shall be a President, a Vice-President, a Secretary, a Treasurer, a Webmaster, or such other Officers or Directors-at-Large as deemed necessary by the Club Executive.
2. The Officers of the Club shall be Members in good standing, shall be elected annually at the Annual General Meeting, and serve until the next Annual General Meeting. Any Officer shall be eligible for re- election.
3. Appointment of Officers for positions vacated during the term of office shall be by the Club Executive with a majority vote approval of the Club Executive.
ARTICLE VI The Club Executive
1. The Club Executive shall consist of all Officers of the Club.
2. The Club Executive shall provide leadership to ensure the positive visibility of the Club and to establish a clear Club vision. The Club Executive shall provide comprehensive strategies for club activities and ensure the responsiveness of programs for newcomers.
3. The Club Executive shall administer the Club according to the Bylaws, collect from the members sufficient funds to meet the objectives of the Club and prudently expend such funds.
4. The Club Executive shall meet at least quarterly and whenever the Club President determines that a meeting is required.
5. Approval of resolutions requires the consent of a majority of Officers present.
6. All Officers may vote on resolutions except for the Chairman who may only vote to break a tie.
7. The quorum required at a Club Executive meeting is a majority of Officers.
8. The Club Executive may fill vacancies occurring during the year.
ARTICLE VII Policies and Procedures
1. The Club Executive shall set such Policies and Procedures as are necessary for the good order and operation of the Club.
2. Policies and Procedures shall not be in conflict with these Bylaws and the Bylaws shall take precedence. 3. All Policies and Procedures shall be approved by and may be amended by a majority of the Club Executive.
ARTICLE VIII Nominating Committee
1. The Club Executive shall appoint a Nominating Committee consisting of at least three Members. The Chair of the Nominating Committee shall not be a current member of the Club Executive. The Nominating Committee shall propose to the membership at each Annual General Meeting a list of Members willing to serve as Officers of the Club for the ensuing year.
ARTICLE IX Rules of Order
1. In case of omissions or disputes, the rules contained in the current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern the Club in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these Bylaws and the Policies and Procedures.
ARTICLE X Amendment of Bylaws
1. Resolutions to amend the Bylaws require approval by a two-thirds majority of the Members attending a General Meeting, provided that the amendment has been submitted in writing with the notice of the General Meeting.
ARTICLE XI Dissolution
1. The Club may be dissolved by a resolution to dissolve the Club providing that notice has been sent to all Members of record and is approved by a two thirds majority of the Members attending a Special General Meeting for this purpose.